Tron Legacy exposed

July 26, 2009 · Filed Under Babel fish, Movies

Babel fish - A mental interface between Sir Arthur's sensibility and the events from the outer world. And for all the rest, too As already occurred during the past year, Disney has chosen the San Diego Comic-Con International to present its new sci-fi project. The sequel to Tron, the classic movie from 1982 dealing with videogames, virtual reality and 3D graphics when none of these three things was widely popular, has got an official title and synopsis now while the major has released (and this time without silly censorship) the very first trailer from the movie together with some concept art and the teaser poster.

Disney describes Tron Legacy as “a 3D high-tech adventure set in a digital world that’s unlike anything ever captured on the big screen“, and reveals the base elements from the plot: Kevin Flynn, the videogame programmer featured in the original Tron, has disappeared during the last 25 years sucked in the same virtual world ruled by the Master Control Program from which he already succeeded to escape once. Meanwhile Sam, Flynn’s 27 years old son, starts searching for his father entering the same parallel reality hidden within the computer.

Tron Legacy - teaser logo/posterTron Legacy - concept art 1Tron Legacy - concept art 2

Tron Legacy - concept art 3Tron Legacy - concept art 4Tron Legacy - concept art 5

Tron Legacy - concept art 6Tron Legacy - concept art 7Tron Legacy - concept art 8

Tron Legacy - concept art 9

The two will have to face the dangers of a world that’s much more advanced than the previous one, in the attempt to stay alive without being erased or knocked down by their light cycles-running opponents. The stuff shown at Comic-Con lets us enjoy sets and vehicles more hi-tech than ever together with a remake of the original light cycle. Of course times are very different now, 3D graphics is a wonder viewers take almost for granted and it’s difficult to think that the new chapter of the movie which introduced entire generations to virtuality will have the same impact.

Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 1Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 2Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 3

Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 4Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 5Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 6

Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 7Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 8Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 9

Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 10Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 11Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 12

Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 13Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 14Tron Legacy - teaser trailer - screenshot 15

Undoubtedly Disney is well aware of the cult still living around Tron, and the veil of secrecy with which the major protected the sequel until now can be read as the effort to make things the right way taking all the time needed to carry out the project. The Comic-Con teaser trailer is an updated version of the one from the past year but at least this time it’s freely available on-line and on Flynn Lives, the viral site conceived to feed the buzz on what appears to be one of the most important movie events of the upcoming 2010.

• Slashdot
  • Reddit
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Technorati

Comments

35 Responses to “Tron Legacy exposed”

1. Vern on July 27th, 2009 8:50 pm

Uh, dude? Videogames, virtual reality and 3D graphics were wildly popular in 1982. Why do you think TRON was such a big deal when it came out? There were *lines* to play video games in arcades in 1982. Space Invaders in 1978 was so popular that every 100-yen coin in Japan was poured into it. And you call yourself a video game guy?

Browser Opera 9.64 Opera 9.64 on the O.S. Windows Vista Windows Vista
    Opera/9.64 (Windows NT 6.0; U; en) Presto/2.1.1
  2. Sir Arthur, King of Ghouls'n Ghosts on July 27th, 2009 8:57 pm

Well, maybe (and I say *maybe*) I should have used another kind of expression. I meant… these things weren’t *so* popular, everywhere in the world, to not to look to a vidgamer as a freak and not to drive your granny remove you from her heritage because of them :-P

Browser Firefox 2.0.0.16 Firefox 2.0.0.16 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; it; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16
  3. Some buy on July 27th, 2009 9:06 pm

How old were you back in 1982? Let me guess, you probably weren’t even born yet.

Browser Firefox 3.5.1 Firefox 3.5.1 on the O.S. Windows NT Windows NT
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
  4. Awesomepants on July 27th, 2009 9:21 pm

Compared to the vast popularity of video games theses days, what with video game culture and the fact that they play a role in the lives of just about every person in the world in one way or another, it would be ridiculous to try to compare how popular they were in the early eighties to today. The point got across, I think.

No point in arguing about the phrasing though.

HELL YEAH TRON 2!

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
  5. foo on July 27th, 2009 9:25 pm

I watched the trailer, and, well… it sucks!

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; pt-BR; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070609 Firefox/3.0.12
  6. Gozer on July 27th, 2009 9:36 pm

Well if figures a Mac user would think it would suck; try using a Commodore instead…..

Browser Internet Explorer 8.0 Internet Explorer 8.0 on the O.S. Windows Vista Windows Vista
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
  7. JFK on July 27th, 2009 9:38 pm

I watched the comment that was Last Written and it Sucked…..I mean seriously that was a good trailer dunno what planet you live on.

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Ubuntu Ubuntu
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070811 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.12
  8. Blank Bruno on July 27th, 2009 9:38 pm

Personally, I think the stills and video look OK, and I plan to see it at once, probably several times.

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Ubuntu Ubuntu
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070812 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.12
  9. me on July 27th, 2009 10:41 pm

Amazing, can’t wait to see this, typical Mac user though saying it sucked.

Browser Internet Explorer 8.0 Internet Explorer 8.0 on the O.S. Windows 7 Windows 7
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2)
  10. jonathan on July 27th, 2009 10:47 pm

trailer is an arbitrary CG fest with no evidence of plot. ‘not anymore’ is the catch phrase chosen for the trailer? please…

there’s no way this movie will be any good.

unless you thought the matrix revolutions was good…but that’s probably because you’re too young to have seen any really good movies.

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Windows 7 Windows 7
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
  11. David on July 27th, 2009 10:58 pm

Mods: Can someone please fix the “edit” function?

I’m hoping far too hard here, but with the dark look and the empty/sparse electro-zen look of the apartment the old guy is in, I could only think that it seemed like an awfully neat blend between William Gibson and Tron. That’s probably giving it too much credit, but is there a chance we could have another hit on our hands ala Pirates?

Plot? In a trailer? Oh get off your high horse. Why yes, it’s another “Sense and Sensibility” ! What do you guys expect? It’s TRON! It was just an awesome techno-thriller that was a little cheesy.

If others don’t want to see it then I’ll take your seat at the opening instead, have an incredibly fun time, and you can stay home and watch The Piano with a box of kleenex.

Browser Google Chrome 2.0.172.37 Google Chrome 2.0.172.37 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.37 Safari/530.5
  12. pcnerdy on July 27th, 2009 11:28 pm

I thought the trailer was very interesting.

I’m sorry… but NO trailer should reveal too many plot points… besides. This is probably a TEASER trailer… Anyone else ever heard of those?

Anywho. Movie looks good. It’s about time they dusted off the ol’ Tron IP and came out with some sweet new stuff. HOPEfully this will live up to the hype.

Although we can only really hope.

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Ubuntu Ubuntu
  13. Adder on July 27th, 2009 11:43 pm

Looks absolutely awesome. I took my family to see the original (yeah, I’m that old) and I still pop in my Tron tape when I need a good movie to break the boredom. Classic all the way (cheesy or not), and this sequel is long, LONG overdue. I will definitely be there at the opening in my area.

To the nay-sayers… can anyone say ‘high-tech spoiled snobs’? Geesh.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB6; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
  14. Drew on July 27th, 2009 11:54 pm

Damn.

The trailer takes me back to my childhood… and makes me can’t wait until 2010 for my second childhood!

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
  15. RAM on July 28th, 2009 12:08 am

Fucking A!

Browser Unknown Unknown on the O.S. Unknown O.S. Unknown O.S.
    Atari
  16. Sir Arthur, King of Ghouls'n Ghosts on July 28th, 2009 12:24 am

@David
    Yeah I know, the comments plug-in code is a little bit screwed, reload the page after editing and it won’t look that messy….

@ANYONE
    Mac users, Commodore users, Everything users, I don’t give a damn about you feuds so please be polite or you’ll be moderated :-P

Browser Firefox 2.0.0.16 Firefox 2.0.0.16 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
  17. Mike E. on July 28th, 2009 12:38 am

Personally, I thought it looked extremely interesting. I remember the days when Tron was “the thing”. Heck, I played the hell out of my Mom’s copy of it on VHS (for those of you who do not remember, they were largish black plastic cases full of magnetic tape; like a big Hi-8 tape).

———————————–
    Commet moderated

No more words on this nonsense the OS war is please….

Browser Safari 530.19 Safari 530.19 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19
  18. Inanimate on July 28th, 2009 2:14 am

I wasn’t alive when Tron came out, but it’s still one of the best movies I ever watched. THIS is going to be FANTASTIC! I love how the new sleek look reflects the… well, new sleek look of modern computers. Times change, and so does Tron, apparently. In a good way!

Browser Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
  19. Discordant on July 28th, 2009 2:30 am

Looks cool I just wonder how you could make a really plot and characters around Tron without seeming forced or contrived

Browser Debian IceWeasel 3.0.6 Debian IceWeasel 3.0.6 on the O.S. Debian GNU/Linux Debian GNU/Linux
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009061212 Iceweasel/3.0.6 (Debian-3.0.6-1)
  20. Michael Earls on July 28th, 2009 2:48 am

I was ten when Tron came out. I bought the DVD as soon as it was released. I’ve watched it more times than I can count.

The teaser may be lame to some of you (it excited me), but you have to admit that the teaser for Tron 2 was better than the entire Transformers 2 movie.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; Tablet PC 2.0; Zune 3.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)
  21. Flynn on July 28th, 2009 3:34 am

What OS does Flynn use: Linux, Mac, or Windows? Hint: penguin. Answer correctly and win Tron tickets at FlynnLives.com.

Browser Opera 9.63 Opera 9.63 on the O.S. GNU/Linux GNU/Linux
    Opera/9.63 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.1.1
  22. Steve on July 28th, 2009 8:06 am

Typical Mac user here. I think it rocked.

OK, maybe not a typical user, I started off for over 15 years on PC’s. 5 years now in bliss! Ahh objective C.

Browser Safari 530.19 Safari 530.19 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-au) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19
  23. Tib on July 28th, 2009 9:07 am

‘The old guy’ in David’s comment.. I’m speechless…please tell me he hasn’t seen the first and doesn’t know the original characters. If he has, shame on you for not recognizing him! Damn I feel old - lol.

This movie has been on my wish list for at least a decade, the video game (tron 2.0) a couple years ago made me both hopeful and hesitant about any remake or revisit to this storyline.

All I have to say is holy $#@#%@’ing cow.. I sat staring at my screen and had to call my friends over so I could show it to them on my home theater setup (yay HD and digital projectors!).

The new light cycle is downright sexy, brings back memories of daydreams riding my bike as a kid, and makes me wish my ST1100 in the garage was that freaking awesome.

I like the dark/sinister feel of the trailer, and again so much more can be drawn out of it when you know the original story and how some of the imagery plays out - such as the green rider’s identity (go watch the original again, seriously) and what it implies.

I can’t wait for this to hit theaters.

Browser Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11 on the O.S. Windows 7 Windows 7
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
  24. Harry on July 28th, 2009 11:03 am

The original Tron was cool because even though it was cheesy it was ORIGINAL.
    This looks like yet another carbon copy remake with standard fare CG a la Batman/Spiderman/every other lame formula remake made in the last 10 years.

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
  25. K on July 28th, 2009 2:32 pm

Mac user here. That mac “user” that says the trailer sucked is some pre-teen dick. I was 14 when the original came out and it was a force that steered me towards all things geek. I still watch it with great reverance because you young whippersnappers just don’t know how awesome it was to be there at the dawn of computer tech in everyday life.

Can’t wait to see the new one.

Browser Safari 530.19 Safari 530.19 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.19.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.2 Safari/530.19
  26. Jim in Arizona on July 28th, 2009 6:26 pm

Because man. Somewhere in one of these memories is the evidence! If we get in far enough we can reconstruct it!

Browser Firefox 3.5.1 Firefox 3.5.1 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
  27. Andrew on July 28th, 2009 9:09 pm

Ok, this was th3 4w350m3! I remember when the first movie came out. I was 16 and it was one of the reasons I changed from electronics to programming. I’ve had wet dreams about this for the past 15 years.
    I´ll be in the first row to see this.

Browser Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
  28. Simon Page on July 29th, 2009 1:41 am

This is something I have been looking forward to more than Transformers

check out the movie poster:

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12
  29. Tib on July 29th, 2009 3:05 am

Harry:

Keeping a consistent character between movies does not make something a ‘remake’. To do that you’d have to see them do the first Tron script again with updated graphics. Alice In Wonderland is going to be a ‘remake’, because it is the same plot and course of events. Tron Legacy is an entirely new set of content.

And this is about as far from ‘carbon copy’ as one can get when it comes to the artwork between the two. About the only thing that stayed the same (from suits to light cycles) is that things are trimmed in neon’ish colors.

Browser Firefox 3.0.11 Firefox 3.0.11 on the O.S. Windows 7 Windows 7
  30. Random Trekkie on July 29th, 2009 3:20 am

Hmmmm. Well, there is no denying that this movie looks REALLY COOL, with the slow-motion for dramatic effect and so on. HOWEVER. As a fan of the original TRON, all I can say is that this movie cannot hope to compare in impact, plot, and overall effect. Like the article says, mind-blowing FX are a prerequisite, not a bonus. (And, if I may say so, no one in Hollywood can write a plot worth a D@mn these days…) This trailer was made for fans of the original but if the movie is made like that, it will be a flop. Outsiders won’t understand and insiders will be disappointed because it just isn’t the same.

That being said, I’d love to be proven wrong!! *grin!*

Browser Safari 530.17 Safari 530.17 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17
  31. vernes on July 29th, 2009 10:09 am

Watch movies from around the time the first TRON was made, play some of the games of that era.
    THEN watch TRON and understand what the impact of TRON was.

I’m going to organise a TRON night before this sequal is released.

Otherwise you’re just as obnoxious as a tourist who has no idea what the customs are in the land he’s visiting.

Browser Firefox 3.0.12 Firefox 3.0.12 on the O.S. Windows Vista Windows Vista
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; nl; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12
  32. IBM360/40 on July 29th, 2009 1:52 pm

Started on mainframes in 1974, Pong in the pub.
    Saw Tron in 1982, was cool.
    Hope to enjoy Legacy next year for my early retirement.

Browser Internet Explorer 7.0 Internet Explorer 7.0 on the O.S. Windows XP Windows XP
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8)
  33. Steve Bryan on July 30th, 2009 5:01 am

“What OS does Flynn use”

I haven’t seen the soon to be released movie but I know what OS he used in the original Tron. He was using an Apple III which had an OS called SOS.

Browser Safari 530.19 Safari 530.19 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
  34. Dean on August 1st, 2009 3:54 pm

I loved the teaser trailer. Looking forward to the movie.

Why do some you insist on arguing and being negative? Some of you are just angry. Relax. Put in your comments without going after one another and move on.

Browser Firefox 3.5 Firefox 3.5 on the O.S. Mac OS Mac OS
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5
  35. nela on August 4th, 2009 9:29 pm

Wau
    the trailer looks incredible!
    And at the end when the blue one crashes and talks about the end of a game and than the yellow one says “anymore” right? Or is it “not anymore”?
    big thing